Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) Certification
Starting in 2018, Wisconsin will replace the MAQA program with the YQCA program, a youth education certification program on the issues of animal welfare, food safety and character education.
For 2018, this certification will be required of:
- Green County Fair Swine Exhibitors – must complete and submit certification number by Tuesday, April 17 at 4:30pm, along with Swine DNA ID paperwork.
- WI State Fair Junior Animal Exhibitors (Dairy, Beef, Swine, Sheep, Goats, Poultry & Rabbits) – must complete and submit certification number as part of WSF entry process.
YQCA gives families more flexibility in gaining this required certification, by offering them two different learning methods:
All 2018 YQCA Training options MUST be registered and paid for online at https://yqca.learngrow.io
Option A – Web-Based Online Training (60-90 minutes) – Available 24/7 which allows exhibitors flexibility to take course at their convenience; Will contain 3 modules, tailored to youth age categories (ages 8-11, 12-14, 15-18 & 19-21); Each module will conclude with a 10 question quiz, with opportunities to go back into the modules to find the correct answers or retake the quiz after 1 hour; Must register online at a cost of $12/person/year for the online training and MUST be paid online.
Option B—Instructor-Led Face-to-Face Trainings (90 minutes)—Sessions will be held face-to-face and are limited to the first 50 youth. MUST register and pay online 24 hours in advance, before attending the training. Exhibitors need to arrive 10 minutes in advance of the session to check-in and must stay for the full 90 minutes. Cost is $3 per person, per year, and MUST be paid online at the time of registration. Exhibitors ages 19-21, as of December 31, 2017, CANNOT take the Instructor-Led Training, and instead must take the Web-Based Online Training. The two Instructor-Led Training options in Green County will be:
- Wednesday, March 7, 6:30 – 8:00 PM, Green County Justice Center, Monroe – Multipurpose Rooms 1-3
- Saturday, March 17, 9:00 – 10:30 AM, Green County Justice Center, Monroe – Multipurpose Rooms 2 & 3
These are the only two dates for face-to-face Green County YQCA sessions! Must register & pay online at https://yqca.learngrow.io
Steps for Getting Your YQCA Certification:
Click here for Step-By-Step directions with pictures.
Create An Account—Go to: https://yqca.learngrow.io
- 4-H Exhibitors—Please sign in using the “4HOnline” option. This will save you re-entering all of your contact info.
- FFA Exhibitors—Please sign in using the “Independent Sign In” option.
Select a Course—it is IMPORTANT to select the correct course for the youth’s age, as of Dec. 31, 2017.
Purchase a Course—Select the state, and then select either a Web-Based ($12) OR Instructor-Led ($3) Training. MUST pay online for the course. Keep a copy of your receipt/confirmation.
Submitting Certificate of Completion—Once the training is complete, return to the course menu screen to download a PDF of the Certificate of Completion with the youth’s unique certificate number. Certificates MUST be received by the UW-Extension Office by Tuesday, April 17th at 4:30pm, either by submitting a hard copy or emailing the PDF to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please contact the Green County UW-Extension office at 608-328-9440 with any questions.