Latest News and Information
NEW! Green County Master Gardeners Host 13th Annual Symposium
Registration fees of $35 are due by March 1st (or $40 if after March 1st). Fees include morning beverages, rolls, lunch, afternoon break and resource materials. Checks should be made payable to GCMGA and sent to Extension Green County, Garden Inspirations, 2841-6th Street, Monroe, WI 53566. Print the attached Bees, Birds and Backyards Symposium Brochure for registration information.
This years speakers include:
- Susan Carpenter— A native plant gardener at the UW-Arboretum and promotes the statewide monitoring project Bumble Bee Brigade! Learn about bumble bee life history, ID, habitat, and monitoring. The federally endangered rusty-patched bumble bee, lives in at the Arboretum and you may find it in your own garden as well!
- Bill Volkert –– Keynote speaker, will focus his program on experiences in natural landscaping and land management and provides a range of examples for using native plants for both small gardens and managing larger areas of land, while attracting birds. Bill worked as the naturalist and wildlife educator for Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources at Horicon Marsh for 27 years.
- TBD — Soil amending– learn about the science of soils to help us discover better ways to grow our plants.
- Mike Korelsky — Assistant Manager at Winterland Nursery, Oregon, WI, has 30 years experience in the lawn and garden industry. Winterland Nursery is a season retail garden center and a division of McKay Nurseries.
- The Southeast Wisconsin Master Gardeners Volunteers will be presenting on “Lifelong Gardening”. Their presentation will include adaptive tools along with giving hints on proper body mechanics.
The Green County Master Gardeners Association held their annual meeting on Thursday, November 14th, 2019 at the Green County Justice Center.
Twenty-seven Green County area residents were recently recognized for earning their Master Gardener Certification at the annual meeting of the Green County Master Gardeners Association. The main functions of the group are to serve the needs of all horticulturists in the Green County area, provide continuing education for it’s members, provide community services through volunteer activities, exchange gardening ideas, promote responsible and sound gardening practices and to provide a link between the community and University of WIsconsin, Division of Extension. Read the complete Master Gardener Certification Press Release for more details.
Check out the Green County Master Gardeners Association “Blog” Site. The goal of this site is to provide another link between our community and the Extension-Green County. You can also visit our Facebook page (link to be coming) to keep up with the latest Green County Master Gardeners Association information.
The GCMGA is located in Monroe, Wisconsin and serves the needs of all gardeners in Green County and the surrounding area.
Information about the Green County Master Gardeners Association
The Wisconsin Master Gardener Program teaches volunteers who aid University of Wisconsin Cooperative Extension Staff by helping people in the community better understand horticulture and their environment.
The Green County Master Gardeners Association Mission is:
- To serve the needs of all gardeners in Green County and the surrounding area.
- To promote the continuing education of members through horticultural education, programs, tours, etc.
- To promote community service through volunteer activities.
- To recognize members who meet and maintain certification.
- To provide for the exchange of ideas and to provide opportunities to promote the understanding of responsible gardening practices
- To provide a link between the community and the UW-Extension.
GCMGA Volunteer Honor Roll
Norma Bader, Michael Colney, Mike Davis, Eugene Gessler, Susan Konopacki, Kris Winkler
Paul Roemer, Gregg Smith
Lois Baker, Linda Boll, Theresa Colney, Eugene Gessler, Mary Alice Hart, Deb Kleppe, Lynn Lokken, Tanna McKeon, Cheryl Rezabek,
250 – 499
|Sally Bear, Kimberly Berg, Jayne Butts, Sue Hartwig, Mary Jackson, Kristi Leonard, Mary Nelson, Ann Marie Ott, Jo Pinnow, Jack Policastro, Marilyn Sandin Ross, Tamara Schulte, Gaida Vickerman, Tom Voight, Sande Wells, Rae Wellnitz, Jean Woolworth.|
150 – 249
|Sharon Adams, Kay Collins Argue, Ron Hayes, Rudy Kaderly, Ricky Kiesling, Lloyd Lueschow, Roseann Meixelsperger, Jim Meuth, Cindy Palombi, Wendy Pendergraph.|
Wisconsin Horticulture Update
Weekly reports by the UW-Extension Horticulture Team https://fyi.extension.wisc.edu/wihortupdate/
Speaker/Project Request Forms If your organization would like to have a Master Gardener come speak at your meeting, fill out this Speaker Request form:GCMGA Speaker Request Form (1 page, 22 KB)
If your organization would like help with a volunteer/community project, fill out this ProjectRequestForm 2020:
Green County Master Gardener Association Annual Dues Form: Dues-Statement 2020
Master Gardener Volunteer Time Sheet GCMGA Timesheet 2020
Master Gardener Volunteer Agreement Master Gardener Volunteer Agreement (.pdf)(2 pages, 115 KB)
Scholarship Application The Green County Master Gardener Association voted at their 2009 Annual Meeting to offer scholarship money for Horticulture related studies.
Master Gardener Public Log Document Horticulture Calls sheet (.doc)
State Master Gardener Association Resources
2020 Area Horticulture CALENDAR of Events
Dec & Jan
|6:30PM||Green County Master Gardener monthly meeting, Green County Justice Center, 2841-6th Street, Monroe; Bradley Herrick, Jumping Worms|
|Mar 7||8AM-3:30PM||Garden Inspirations for All Seasons, Turner Hall, 1217 17th Ave, Monroe, WI; Gardening With A Purpose-“Bees, Birds and Your Backyard”|
|Mar 26||6:30PM||GCMGA monthly meeting, Green County Justice Center, 2841-6th Street, Monroe, Lisa Nelson, “Roots Chocolates!”|
|Apr 23||6:30PM||GCMGA monthly meeting, Green County Justice Center, 2841-6th Street, Monroe, Patrick Ready, “How to Get Ready for BlueBirds”|
|May 9||9AM- Noon||Master Gardener Plant Sale~Green County Fairgrounds, Stock Pavilion, Monroe, WI|
|May 28||6:30 PM||GCMGA TOUR –Home Garden Norma Bader, GCMGA Member|
|Jun 27||8:00AM-5:30PM||GCMGA Home Garden Tours — Monroe, WI Details coming soon!|
|Jul 23||6:30PM||GCMGA TOUR Swiss Historical Village Gardens, 612-7th Ave, New Glarus, WI Ann Marie Ott (GCMGA Mbr) and Lula Miller, Certified Herbalist|
|Aug 27||6:30PM||GCMGA TOUR — Home Garden Rudy Kaderly, GCMGA Member|
|Sep 24||6:30PM||GCMGA Tour – Channel Seeds Building, Scot Timm, W6010 Melvin Rd, Monroe, WI Hemp After Harvest & Sweet Corn|
|Oct 22||6:30PM||GCMGA TOUR — National Historic Cheesemaking Center; 2108-6th Street, Monroe, WI; Myron Olson, retired Chalet Cheese Master Cheesemaker|
|Nov 12||6:30 PM||Annual Meeting of the GCMGA, Green County Justice Center, Banquet at 6:30 PM, Meeting to follow at 7:00 PM, with yearly presentation of member projects.|
Division of Extension Horticulture Site
UW Insect Diagnostic Lab
UW Plant Pathology Lab
Wisconsin Master Gardener
The Wisconsin Gardener
UW-Extension Learning Store
WI Department of Agriculture Pest Bulletin
UW Extension Horticulture Disease Fact Sheets
Ohio State University Horticulture Fact Sheets
University of Minnesota Horticulture
State Line Bee Keepers Association
Biological Control News
Wisconsin AWON Weather