Green County Leaders (GCL) is an educational program where individuals practice leadership skills, deepen their understanding of community issues, and prepare for leadership roles. This creates a network of active and visionary individuals who leverage their experience and expertise to benefit their community and local community-based organizations.
Applications are CLOSED for the 2023-2024 Green County Leaders program!
Green County Leaders Now Accepting Community Project Proposals
Does your organization or group have a need or issue that may benefit from the time, talents, and expertise of a Green County Leaders (GCL) project team? Green County Leaders is now accepting community project proposals for the upcoming program year!
Community projects link participants with community groups and provide hands-on leadership experience, complete with all the challenges and opportunities that exist in the community. At the same time, these projects help participants in further developing their leadership skills and provide results that would not have been accomplished without the GCL project team assistance.
To submit a project proposal, complete the project proposal form and send it to Victoria Solomon by Wednesday, September 13, 2023. Your proposal will be reviewed by the GCL curriculum committee, which will be looking for feasibility, concreteness, and timeline. Then, later in September, the Green County Leader participants will identify what projects they want to pursue
For more information, contact Victoria Solomon at the Extension Green County Office at (608) 328-9440 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program days are dedicated to both leadership development and learning about community issues and opportunities. Sessions are led by a variety of trainers, facilitators, and community leaders. Additionally, there are activities required outside of program days that provide outlets to use and refine skills, concepts, and tools introduced in sessions, and reading that are integral program components.
Through interactive community orientation, personal leadership development training, outside activities, and a hands-on team project, GCL provides participants with increased capacity to contribute as effective leaders and a great knowledge of the area in which they live and/or work.
Green County Leaders is a leadership laboratory that provides participants with opportunities to:
- Grow and practice leadership skills;
- Deepen understanding of community issues;
- Reflect on personal leadership legacy; and
- Strengthen and expand leadership networks.
In order to complete the GCL program, participants are required to:
- Attend the following sessions; these are held in different locations.
- Kickoff: W. August 23 (9am-10:30am) Note: This is the only session that will be held virtually.
- Session 1: Wednesday. September 6, 2023 (8am-4:30pm)
- Session 2: Wednesday, September 27, 2023 (8am-4:30pm)
- Session 3: Wednesday, October 11, 2023 (8am-4:30pm)
- Session 4: Wednesday, November 8, 2023 (8am-4:30pm)
- Session 5: Wednesday, December 13, 2023 (8am-4:30pm)
- Session 6: Wednesday, January 10, 2024 (8am-4:30pm)
- Session 7: Wednesday, February 14, 2024 (7am-4:30pm) Note: This session is held in Madison. The earlier start time includes travel time from Green County.
- Session 8: Wednesday, March 13, 2024 (8am-4:30pm)
- Session 9: Wednesday, April 10, 2024 (8am-4:30pm)
- Session 10: W. May 8, 2024 (8am-6pm) Note: This session includes the community project presentations and graduation celebration. Save the date and ask your manager, friends, and family to also save the date.
- Engage in pre- and post-class reflections, exercises, and reading assignments. The amount of time needed to complete pre-requisites will vary however, in most cases will take at most, one or two hours.
- Participate in and contribute to a small team project and other activities that may take at least 20 additional hours outside of the scheduled meeting times. The amount of time committed to the project will depend upon the project team size and the scope of the project the team identifies.
Participants are expected to attend every program day. Absences affect the cohesion of the class and diminish everyone’s learning. The full commitment of each class member is critical to the success of the program and each class member’s experience.
Attendance is mandatory for orientation. There are also attendance requirements for the remaining program days, allowing participants up to 8 hours of excused absence for unexpected emergencies. Missing between 8 and 16 hours of class will require a participant to create a make-up plan. If a participant misses more than 16 hours, he or she will be asked to withdraw from the program and forfeit tuition.
Green County Leaders is made possible by a partnership between UW-Madison Division of Extension Green County and the Green County Development Corporation with strong support from community organizations and businesses.
Green County Leaders is intentionally a multistakeholder network with connections in communities across Green County. The Board of Directors is as follows:
- Bill Oemichen, Extension Local Government Educator and New Glarus School Board
- Al Brokopp, Monticello School District
- Sarah Fredrickson. Precision Drive and Control
- Jon Brunner, UPG Electrical–GCL Alumni 2012-2013
- Amanda Krier, Jack Links —GCL Alumni 2018-2019
- Al Hanusa, Colony Brands —GCL Alumni 2012-2013
- Teresa Keehn, United Way of Green County —GCL Alumni 2017-2018
- Jill Leitzen, Kuhn North America —GCL Alumni 2003-2004
- Karl Rindal, Monroe Clinic —GCL Alumni 2015-2016
Green County Development Corporation
- Olivia Otte, Executive Director
Extension Green County
- Victoria Solomon, Community Resource Development Educator
- Victoria Solomon, Extension Community Educator
- Al Hanusa, Colony Brands
- Chris Wellington, Retired
- Cory Kundert, CUNA
- Kathy Ryan, Monroe Truck
- Mike Sanders, 1100 Partners
- Teresa Keehn, United Way Of Green County
- Olivia Otte, Green County Development Corp
Community Resource Development Educator
Extension Green County
608-328-9440 Email: email@example.com
Green County Development Corporation
608-328-9452 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org