Communication between community members and elected officials is an important part of democracy.
Please note that UW is a non-partisan entity.
- U.S. President Donald Trump
- U.S. Senator Tammy Baldwin
- U.S. Senator Ron Johnson
- U.S. Representative Mark Pocan
The governor of Wisconsin is Tony Evers. Green county is split into three Wisconsin Senate districts and three Wisconsin Assembly districts. You can use the Wisconsin State Legislature website to identify your Wisconsin senator and representative.
The county board members are listed on the Green County website. This website also has the Green County official directory, which has the contact information for the elected officials at the different levels of government, including county, city, village, and town.
Here are some tips for communicating with elected officials. The key is to establish a relationship, be available, be realistic, and be helpful. And remember — county board members, city council, village board, and town board members are elected officials too.
- Don’t feel bad if you don’t talk with the elected official. Aides are top-notch. They write the legislation and make the agency contacts.
- Establish a relationship with your elected officials and their aides.
- Visit with them. Go to office hours and visit their offices when you’re in town. Invite them to visit you when they are in your area.
- Tout your successes. Give them a call, send a newspaper clipping.
- Invite them to events. Even if the elected official cannot attend, s/he may send one of their aides.
- Connected when needed. Remember, elected officials can help with issues regarding the government.
- Respond in a timely manner. If they have questions or want additional information, provide it in a timely manner — get back to them immediately if possible.
- Have others talk about how important your issue is to them.
For a printable version of these tips, click here to read How to Talk so Legislators Will Listen.
- Victoria Solomon, Community Resource Educator, Extension Green County at (608) 328-9440 or email@example.com.