Economic development is an important component of vibrant communities. In Green County we are fortunate to have strong networks support businesses, entrepreneurs, and community economic development.
Extension is happy to assist with providing community or organizational education or facilitation. Examples of such work have included:
- Facilitating multistakeholder collaborative meetings to support community economic development;
- Facilitating downtown market analysis work;
- Providing research-based educational information on broadband; and
- Facilitating first impressions efforts.
There are also a number of recommended organizations and networks to check out:
The Small Business Development Center (SBDC) provides free counseling for those considering a business start-up or existing businesses looking to expand. It is part of the Wisconsin Small Business Development Center (SBDC) is a statewide network supporting entrepreneurs and business owners through no-cost, confidential consulting and business education. Its regional expertise is accessible to anyone anywhere across 13 locations.
The Wisconsin SBDC is one of five programs at the Institute for Business & Entrepreneurship, which provides specialized resources and helps clients craft personalized plans to grow their businesses. The Institute is part of the world-class University of Wisconsin system. It is a nationally accredited member of the U.S. SBDC, the most comprehensive small business assistance network in the United States.
The Center for Community and Economic Development (CCED) is the UW-Extension outreach unit that provides applied research, educational programs, and assistance on community and economic development to individuals, local governments, and community organizations. Current areas of emphasis include:
- Regional economics
- Community demographic and market analysis
- Business district market analysis
- Local food systems
- Community marketing and branding
- Community placemaking
- Community preparedness
- Asset-based sustainable development
- Tourism business development
- Entrepreneurship development
- Victoria Solomon, Community Resource Educator, Extension Green County at (608) 328-9440 or Victoria.Solomon@wisc.edu