Welcome to the Green County 4-H Poultry Project Page! These requirements affect ALL 4-H and FFA Poultry Exhibitors, who plan to show at the Green County Fair. Criteria are based on age and housing of all poultry, including waterfowl. If you have poultry currently on your premises and you have bought in new birds from any source, all mature birds will need to be tested by a certified tester in order to be in compliance. If you have any questions, please contact Ellen Andrews at 608.328.9440 or by at firstname.lastname@example.org
Youth for the Quality Care of Animals (YQCA) Certification
All 2020 Green County Fair Poultry Exhibitors MUST complete the YQCA certification. Certification numbers must be submitted as part of the Green County Fair online entry process. For more information about YCQA, please visit the YQCA page at https://green.extension.wisc.edu/2019/12/10/yqca-youth-for-the-quality-care-of-animals/
2020 Green County Fair Updates
- Be sure to review the General Fair Rules and Poultry Department Rules on the Green County Fair website.
- All 2020 Green County Fair Poultry exhibitors MUST complete the YQCA certification process, and include their certification number as part of the Green County Fair online entry process (due May 26th @ 4:30pm). For complete instructions on YQCA, please to go https://green.extension.wisc.edu/2019/12/10/yqca-youth-for-the-quality-care-of-animals/.
- All poultry will be weighed upon check in between 9:00am -12:00pm on Tuesday, July 14th, 2020.
- If intending to participate in the Fur & Feather Auction…
- Review the Livestock Auction and Entry Rules: https://green.extension.wisc.edu/files/2020/04/2020-4-H-FFA-Livestock-Auction-2.pdf
- Auction Entry Forms are due the Extension Green County Office by no later than 4:30pm on May 26, 2020. 2020 Auction Entry Form
If an exhibitor fails to reimburse the auction committee by November 1st of exhibit year for any animals not delivered, the exhibitor, and all the other family members will lose eligibility to sell in future auctions until full restitution is made for the missing animals.
- All exhibitors must include their name, full address, and final dressed weight along with “Not Inspected” on the outside of the package before delivering dressed rabbits and poultry to the buyer.
Selecting Your Bird
Purebred Fowl – Evaluate your bird by comparing it to the American Standard of Perfection for that breed and variety. Look carefully for any defects or disqualifications. Check the comb, eye color, wings, tail, feet, skin, feather quality, and color. What is the general condition of the bird?
- Additional Resource: Poultry Breed Standards videos – Ohio 4-H Youth development & American Poultry Association – https://ohio4h.org/poultrybreeds
Turkeys and Meat Chickens– Check the condition of the breast. Is the breast bone straight? Are any bruises or blisters present? Breast flesh should be deep and full. Keep pinfeathers to a minimum. Check skin for sunburn. Are drumsticks round and full? Is the bird clean and healthy?
Egg Production– A good layer has a bright face and comb. She has a soft abdomen and a large moist vent. Can you place 2 or 3 fingers between the public bones? Is she clean and in good feather?
- Choose a well-feathered, clean, and tame bird
- Practice putting the bird into the cage and taking it out, head first. Make sure you are holding it correctly.
- Work in identirying as many parts as you can on your bird.
- Know your variety, breed, sex, and class of bird (bantam or large fowl, etc) Example: “I am holding a black Cochin Bantam Pullet…” The breed of my bird is ____; The variety of my bird is _____; The sex of my bird is _____.
- Do you know a poultry disease? It’s cure?
- What is a disqualification or defect that may exist on a bird such as yours?
- What is your bird’s diet made up of?
- Name a poultry parasite. Where do you look for them?
- YOUR ATTITUDE AND APPEARANCE MATTER! Dress in a long-sleeved shirt. Be Positive! Do your best!
- 4-H Poultry Handling and Holding a Chicken – Penn State Extension – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1NtXdXGczQ
- 4-H Poultry Showmanship – Penn State Extension – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsQ8Bb2yw8Y
Wisconsin Livestock Identification Consortium – Premise ID Registration
Wisconsin Department of Agriculture, Trade and Consumer Protection – DATCP
Wisconsin State 4-H Poultry
Raising Roasters and Broilers – Written by David Laatsch, Ag Ed Teacher (retired) Beaver Dam, WI High School, B.S Poultry Science ’76 M.S., ’85 Agriculture Education U.W. Madison
Poultry Care Video Series by University of Connecticut Extension – https://blog.extension.uconn.edu/2019/04/05/poultry-care-video-series/
Poultry Committee Members
Valerie Johnson, Co-Chair – (608)778-0311, email
Kristi Pulvermacher, Co-Chair – (608)527-2408, email
Briget Nusbaum, Secretary – email
Karen Buck, (608)558-9746, email
Pam Medenwald, (608)575-7258, email